Donating a car to charity is an excellent way to get that old clunker out of your driveway while helping others in the process. There are many non-profit organizations that accept vehicle donations, either directly or indirectily, and use the money from the vehicle to help people in need. In many cases, charities contract with commercial or non-profit organizations to handle the vehicle donation, which usually takes a small cut of the proceeds, and the charity organization receives the rest of the funds from the donation. It’s important to note, however, that the car donation industry is also filled with less-than-trustworthy organizations who only give a very small amount of the money to charity, while pocketing the rest, so if you’re looking to help people while getting rid of your vehicle, you’ll want to make sure your donation gets in the right hands. Donating through hihgly reputable organizations means more of the money from your donation will go to the charity you intended. The top four places to consider are One Car, One Difference, Charity Motors, Car Donation Wizard, The Arc Vehicle Donation. If you have a vehicle you’d like to donate, keep reading to learn more about these top car donation organizations, so you can choose the one that’s right for you.
Top 4 Car Donation Organizations
- One Car, One Difference
- Charity Motors
- Car Donation Wizard
- The Arc Vehicle Donation
One Car, One Difference
One Car, One Difference, run by Insurance Auto Auctions Donation Division, is a public awareness campaign that handles all aspects of vehicle donation through the One Car, One Difference website. All charities that contract with IAA’s Donation Division (which includes charities like Boy Scouts of America, American Red Cross and more) see an average of 72 percent of the gross proceeds from the sale of vehicles, which is a strikingly high amount compared to many other charities. Donating is easy and most of the work can be done right through the website, so you can donate your vehicle hassle-free, and feel confident that the proceeds from your vehicle will make it to the right hands.
- 72 percent of proceeds go directly to the charity
- Donations are fast and easy through the One Car, One Difference website
- Run by Insurance Auto Auctions Donation Division, which also contracts with organizations like Boy Scouts of America and the American Red Cross
Charity Motors is a charity that accepts vehicle donations and prides itself on being highly efficient. Donated vehicles are fixed up sold to individuals who need a running car at 50 percent of the fair market value of the vehicle. Once the vehicle is sold, a high percentage of the proceeds is then given to the charity of your choice. In addition, Charity Motors also offers the highest tax deduction, giving you a deduction that’s worth the fair market price of the car, no matter what the car is sold for.
- High efficient vehicle donation service that helps those in need while also donating money to the charity of your choice
- Fixes and then sells donated vehicles to those in need at 50 percent of fair market value
- Highest tax deduction of any vehicle donation service, getting you 100 percent of the fair market value of your vehicle as a deduction
Car Donation Wizard
Car Donation Wizard, run by the commercial fundraising organization Advanced Remarketing Services, not only makes it easy to donate right from their website, but also gives over 80 percent of the proceeds from donated vehicles to the charities that contract with them, which includes Habitat for Humanity. Not only is Car Donation Wizard’s website easy to use, you’ll also find tons of helpful information about vehicle donation and can begin the donation process right from the website, with very little effort on your part.
- Run by Advanced Remarketing Services, the same company that handles vehicle donations for Habitat for Humanity
- Donating is easy and can be started right from the user-friendly website
- Over 80 percent of vehicle donation proceeds go directly to charity
The Arc Vehicle Donation
The Arc is a non-profit organization advocating for and serving people with developmental and intellectual disabilities. The Arc contracts with Melwood, a highly efficient charity that employs people with intellectual or developmental disabilities, which means you’ll be helping two very similar charities with one donation. This means nearly 100 percent of your donation will go to help two charities at once. Vehicle donation is easy and can be started right on their website.
- One vehicle donation helps two charities at once
- Most proceeds go directly to the charities involved in the donation process
- Donations go to help people with developmental or intellectual disabilities
No matter which vehicle donation service you choose, be sure youre vehicle is going to an organization that has experience with donated vehicles, and will give a high percentage of the proceeds from the donation to the charity you selected. Vehicle donation can be a great way to help others in need while getting rid of your unused or broken down vehicles, but keep in mind that all vehicle donation organizations are the same. Be sure to do your research before you donate!