While banks want to increase their customer base, getting a checking acount is not a done deal. Although opening a bank account is not the same as applying for a line of credit, banks look at your banking history to find out if are a potential liability. Banks use specialized screening tools to review the finanical histories of potential customers, including late fees and whether or not accounts were overdrawn. As a result, banks can potentially deny you the right to open an account. However, there are financial institutions that offer second chance checking options to give customers additional opportunities to experience success.
The Top Five Second Chance Checking Options
- Wells Fargo’s Opportunity Checking and Savings Account
- PNC Foundation Checking
- BBVA Compass Bank
- Centennial Bank Opportunity 100 Checking.
Wells Fargo’s Opportunity Checking and Savings Account
The account option at Wells Fargo is a great option for people looking for a second chance. There is a monthly charge of $10 to maintain the account. This monthly charge can be waived if customers practice the given guidelines. Wells Fargo reviews your standing as a customer on a quarterly basis which gives you the opportunity to graduate to a standard account over time.
- Overdraft protection is available
- Access to over 12,500 Wells Fargo ATMs in the country with free debit card transaction. The monthly charge can be waived if customers make 10 or more debit payments or purchases, have a daily minimum in the account, or receive $500 in direct deposits each statement cycle
PNC Foundation Checking
PNC second chance checking is made available to people who are denied by PNC for their regular checking account. It is a great option for people who are really looking to improve their financial planning and money management skills as part of the program you must take the 90-minute money management course.
- The minimum amount to open the account is $25
- Monthly service charge is $7
- PNC encourages you to reapply for a regular account after just 6 months
If you are looking for non traditional bank option then GoBank might be one to look at. They do not have any physical locations but you can use their app to bank online. You can apply online and you will need to pass their internal fraud check to qualify. Here are some additional features to consider:
- No minimum balance required
- No overdraft fees
- The is a monthly $8.95 fee which you can have waived if you have direct deposits of $500 each month
BBVA Compass Bank
BBVA has a second chance product called Easy Checking available in the following states: AL, AZ, CA, CO, FL, NM, and TX. BBVA is dedicated to providing its account holders with the necessary tools to help them to make better financial decisions for their future.
- You can set up free alerts to notify you when your balance is low
- There is a $13.95 monthly service fee
- Customers have the opportunity to upgrade to a standard account after one year
Centennial bank Opportunity 100 Checking
Opportunity 100 Checking comes with some great perks that you would typically find in a standard account program such as a free debit card and online banking and free checks. There is a $100 minimum to sign up which is higher than some other programs. However the perks are definitely worth it.
- With direct deposit, the monthly service fee is $9.95
- There is no monthly minimum balance required
- Customers may be eligible for an upgrade after 12 months
No matter which bank you choose, improving your standing with all financial institutions through responsible behavior in a second chance banking program can be the first step in building a financial future.